Algorithm of Inventive Problem Solving
|A to Z of |
Advantages, Limitations and Unique Qualities
| Next |
ARIZ (russ. acronym of Алгоритм решения изобретательских задач) - Algorithm of Inventive Problems Solving (ARIZ) is list of (about 85) step-by-step procedures that incrementally evolves a complex problem to a point where it is simple to solve.
Complex problems cannot be solved in just two steps. For those problems which are so complex, that they cannot be solved with any other tools, TRIZ includes the algorithm to follow which will facilitate the problem-solving process. ARIZ is not an equation, but rather a multi-step process asking you a series of questions that integrates different pieces of TRIZ.
ARIZ is a very "solution neutral" process: i.e., it takes preconceived solutions out of the problem statement. It starts you at a position that assumes the nature of your problem is unknown. ARIZ reacquaints you with your problem by allowing you to see your problem with a fresh pair of eyes.
- is a process of problem reformulations
- is logical and disciplined
- continually reinterprets the problem
- is the main TRIZ method for solving conflicts
- Ideality for an understanding of the Ideal Final Result (IFR) (or Ideal Solution) to the problem
- Contradictions, by working first with the technical contradiction, then the physical contradiction
- Resources of the system
- Scientific effects
- S-field modeling and Standard Solutions
the 40 Principles
It is important to note that ARIZ is more than 50% problem reformulation! It is only through this guided reformulation that complex problems can be solved.
Framework for ARIZ
There are the nine classic steps (and the number of sub-steps vary from version to version of ARIZ). The three macro level processes with their respective nine "Classic" parts are:
I. Restructuring of the Original Problem
- Analyze the System
- Analyze the Resources
- Define the Ideal Final Result and Formulate the Physical Contradiction
II. Removing the Physical Contradiction
- Separate the Physical Contradiction
- Apply the Knowledge Base: Effects, Standards, and Principles
- Change the "Mini-Problem"
III. Analyzing the Solution
- Review the Solution and Analyze the Removal of the Physical Contradiction
- Develop Maximum Usage of the Solution
- Review All the Stages in ARIZ in "Real Time" Application
ARIZ is used to solve very complicated invention problems, where other tools of TRIZ (Su-field analysis, 40 inventive principles, etc.) are not aplicable.
- ARIZ (An Americanized Learning Framework) By Janice Marconi, Marconi Works, International
- ARIZ on the Move. Boris Zlotin and Alla Zusman
- Thoughts on ARIZ - Do we need to redesign the ARIZ 2000? By: Pentti Soderlin PDF version (23 KB)
- Combination of ARIZ92 and NM (Nakayama, Masakazu) Method for the 5-th level problems. By: Yoshiki Nakamura. PDF version (193 KB)